CineVis Explore Film Budgets, Revenues & Ratings
- Worldwide Gross
- Domestic Gross
- Foreign Gross
- Opening Weekend Revenue
- Opening Weekend Theaters
- Opening Weekend per Cinema
- Audience Rating
- Critic Rating
What am I looking at?
Hover over the '?' at the top right for quick start.
This plot shows financial and rating data about recent films. Some findings from using this data:
- Paranormal Activity made so much money from such a small budget that is blows all of the scales for profitability.
- Tangled cost a lot, but didn't bring in nearly as much as other big budget movies.
- The critics liked Drag me to Hell a lot more than the audiences - how could anyone not like that movie?
- Superhero, vampire, and Harry Potter movies all have big opening weekend, but no film raked in anywhere near as much as Avatar.
About the Data
The data includes films from 2008-2011. The data set is from the in the Information is Beautiful 'Hollywood Budgets' Challenge. The data was pruned to remove some films with missing data.
- Profitability : Percent of budget recovered
- Budget : Cost, in millions US Dollars
- Worldwide Gross : Total revenue, in millions US Dollars
- Domestic Gross : US revenue, in millions US Dollars
- Foreign Gross : non-US revenue, in millions US Dollars
- Opening Weekend Theaters : Number of US Theaters
- Opening Weekend Revenue : Revenue, in millions US Dollars
- Opening Weekend per Cinema : Average per cinema on opening weekend, in US Dollars
- Audience Rating : Average audience score from Rotten Tomatoes, score: 1-100
- Critic Rating : Average meta score of critical reviews from Rotten Tomatoes, score: 1-100
- Studio : Name of the lead studio
- Story : Name of the story type
- Genre : Name of the genre from IMDB
- Oscar : Names of Academy Award categories
This project included the following libraries and technologies:
About the Author
During the day John Goodall is a Research Scientist at ORNL who uses visual analytics to solve various problems.
Please report problems, comments and issues on the project page.